Date: March 14, 2018 7:00PM (pre-meeting mingle 6:30-7:00)
Location: SoJo Community Center
- Welcome – new members/attendees
- Introductions – who are you, what do you write, how did you find us?
- If you joined in February, you’ll have a nametag next month
- 2018 Quill Awards (Published books in 2017/2018)
- Open only until March 25
- Open ONLY to League Members (so if you aren’t a member, it’s time to join!)
- This year also includes collections (poetry chapbooks and anthologies)
- 2018 Creative Writing Contest – open now through May 19
- Open to anyone, League members get discount on entry fees
- Monkey anthology pieces are eligible
- Utah Book Marketing Symposium (League Partnership) – March 23 @ Veridian Center
- Spring Workshop – April 14, 2018, @ SLCC
- Registration open – everyone gets member price until March 15 then it goes up to $40 for non-members/$50 at the door
- Programming schedule is posted on the website
- Volunteer sign-ups – minimum hours of service will get you a free ticket to Spring. Must be a Spring volunteer to qualify to volunteer for Quills (and the discounted rate for conference attendance)
- South Jordan Writing Conference – May 26 @ SoJo Community Center
- $40 includes lunch, register through SoJo Parks and Rec website
- Spring Into Books – June 2 @ Veridian
- ½ tables are free for authors (first come first served until they’re gone), still looking for anyone interested in teaching mini workshops. Details on the League website or the FB page for the event
- Summer Symposium – June 16 @ USU Logan
- Save the Date 9:00am – 5:00pm and taught in partnership with USU English Department Faculty
- Fall Conference – August 24-25, 2018 @ University Marriott
- Keynote – Tim Dorsey
- Special Guests – Maria V. Snyder, Agent Angie Hodapp (Nelson Literary, Denver)
- Agent – Claire Friedman (Inkwell Management, NY).
- Editors (all from publishers who can acquire without an agent) – Kate Jonez (Omnium Gatherum), Chelsey Emmelhainz (Crooked Lane Books), Kelsey Thompson (New Star Editions-Flux and JFP Imprints), Rhonda Penders (Wild Rose Press)
- Other confirmed guests – James Hunter, Aaron Michael Ritchie, Maxwell Alexander Drake, J.H. Moncrieff, Charlie Holmberg, Courtney Alameda, Lisa Mangum, Lance Larsen, Megan Ashley, Blake Casselman, Bryan Young, Jennifer Jenkins
- Early-bird registration open now until May 1st (saves you $100). Links were included in your February League newsletter for members that gives you a discount of 10%
- StoryMakers – still need volunteers. If you want to help man the table to help promote the League, let us know
- Member Section of the League Website – has discount code for registering for Spring Conference among lots of other things for League Members.
- Pikes Peak Writers Conference is offering 10% off their 2019 rate in trade for us offering to their attendees.
- If you have any desire to be more involved (at the League level or the chapter level) with leadership or volunteering, please let us know.
Chapter Business & Announcements
- 3rd annual Infinite Weekend Writing Retreat – October 18-21 @ Echo Lake
- Registration opens next month on Saturday, April 21st @ noon
- Catering the dinner meals Friday and Saturday so we have less need for folks to pause their writing to cook
- And we’re squeezing 5 more people in this year
- Private rooms = $270/each person in a King bed
- Bunk house (non-private room) = $215/each person in a King bed
- Mattress on the floor/bunkhouse = $185/each
- Two payments available, first half deposit must be paid within 24 hours of booking or you lose your reservation.
- Works better if you are already grouped as three to a room and list your roommates on the registration. However, if you’re a single, that’s okay too. Greater chance for singles if you include your gender and indicate a couple of options that will work (if applicable) so we can fill in all the spaces.
- Monthly Writing Meeting – March 28th @ High Point Coffee
- Next month’s chapter meeting at South Jordan Community Center
- Magic Systems – Charlie Holmberg
- April 11th
- Anthology Update
- Editors are finalizing stories and contracts
- Cover art is done and amazing
- Publishing still on track for fall time frame
- Slack Chanel update
- slack.com – invite link shared on the FB group
- Use this for group chat but not to replace the FB group for all official happenings.
- Deep Critique
- Deadline for April = March 28
- Monthly writing prompt
- It’s been three years since the flood waters cleared up. The population is a fraction of what it was. Only a few structures remain….. and those eggs
Presentation: Fiction Writing Workshop by Patrick Tracy.
Workshop lasted until 8:30pm including readings by many members.
Critique until 9:30